Latest News

Australia: Travel Restriction

Sydney Harbour Bridge on a clear Sydney afternoon

Travel Restrictions in Place on Australian Border

The Department of Home Affairs has clarified some of the information regarding the restrictions in place on the Australian Border.

Travel Restrictions

From 9pm Friday AEDT, the 20th of March, the following restrictions come into force.

Permanent Residents, Citizens, their Immediate Family members and Bridging Visa Holders

Citizens and Permanent Residents

There are no restrictions on Permanent Residents, Citizens or their immediate family members, and they can continue to enter Australia. They are however subject to a 14 day self-isolation period.

New Zealand Citizens

New Zealand citizens who live in Australia as Australian residents are also exempt, as are New Zealanders transiting to New Zealand. Exemptions for Pacific Islanders transiting to their home countries will continue to apply. They are however subject to a 14 day self-isolation period.

Immediate Family members of citizens or permanent residents

Immediate family members of citizens and permanent residents are not restricted from entering, as long as they hold (or obtain prior to travel) a valid visa for entry. They are however subject to a 14 day self-isolation period.

Immediate family members include spouses, dependents and legal guardians. If you hold a partner or child visa you can enter without further documentation. If you are an immediate family member holding a temporary visa you will need to provide evidence of your relationship. Travelers who have a compassionate or compelling reason to travel to Australia can use this form to apply for an exemption before you travel.

Temporary Residents and Temporary Visa Holders

Unfortunately, for the time being, temporary visa holders who are currently outside of Australia and are not a family member of a citizen or permanent resident, will not be able to re-enter Australia. Their visas will not be cancelled unless they attempt to enter.

We are awaiting advice from the government as to whether there will be any exemptions, such as for medical personnel or essential workers.

Bridging visa holders

If you are currently travelling overseas with Bridging visa and your Bridging visa expires while you are overseas, you will need to apply for another visa. Bridging visas cannot be granted if you are outside Australia.

for more information contact us on +61 02 9286 8700 or email us on:

Get in Touch With Us


Level 3, 83 York Street Sydney NSW 2000


02 9286 8700