Permanent Residency in Australia after Studies – Procedure, How to improve chances to apply


Australia has always been a popular study abroad destination not only for the variety of courses it offers but also for its reputed universities. A major reason why international students choose to study in Australia is its popularity as an immigration destination. It is possible to gain permanent residency in Australia after your studies provided you have the required points since the Australia PR visa is granted based on a points-based system. In order to score the required points, you must take the right course based on the number of points you will get. Apart from this, there are many benefits of being an Australia PR visa holder. This article will give details about how to apply for Australia PR after your studies.


Australia’s points-based system

As we mentioned earlier, applicants to Australian permanent residency will be graded under a points-based system where they will be given points based on certain criteria. These include:

· Age

· Educational qualifications

· Level of English language proficiency

· Work experience

· Skills of your partner wherever applicable

As a student if you wish to apply for Australia PR post your studies you can ensure that you get the required points by having a high level of English proficiency and choosing a course that has better prospects of getting a PR visa.

How to apply for Australian permanent residency (PR)

In order to apply for permanent residency after completing your studies, you must submit an ‘expression of interest’ to the Australian government’s Department of Home Affairs’s SkillSelect migration program. This is an online service of the Australian government that students can use to submit their Expression of Interest (EOI). Students should submit details such as their personal information, work experience and level of English language proficiency. They should also include details of their skill assessment related to their nominated occupations.

Students who wish to apply for Australia PR usually apply for a Skilled Independent Visa (subclass 189) or Skilled Nominated visa (subclass 190) which allows them to live and work in Australia as permanent residents. These visas are granted on a points based system for skilled workers who are aged between 18 to 45 years and are not sponsored by any employer or family member.

How to improve your chances of getting a PR visa

Post-study work in Australia – Staying in Australia after completing your program gives you more time to gain work experience and improve your language skills if needed. You can get the Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485) to stay in Australia for 2 to 6 years.

Increase your level of qualification– Increase your level of education to get better scores in the points test. For example, diplomas and trade degrees earn 10 points while a bachelor’s degree earns 15 points. The maximum score for a PhD is 20 points. And two Australian study will give 5 points. An additional 10 points can be claimed if you complete a Masters degree by research or a Doctorate degree from an Australian educational institution that included at least 2 academic years study in a relevant field.

Language skills – Applicants must provide evidence of English proficiency. They will benefit if they do well in language exams as they will get more points. An IELTS score of 7 or 8 will be awarded 10 or 20 points respectively.

Choose a regional university – Earning a degree in a region such as South Australia or regional NSW will give you an advantage when applying for a permanent visa. An individual who has resided in a particular region for 2 years and study regional universities will get additional 5 points and have more chances of getting state sponsored permanent visa 190 and/or 491.

Age factor – Keep in mind that age can have a big impact on your score on a points test. 30 points for 25-32 years old, 25 for 33-39 years old and 15 for 40 to less than 45 years old.

Work experience – Even if you only have one year of work experience in Australia after completing your degree, you will still get an extra 5 points on the points test. The more experience you have in your chosen field or profession, the more points you earn. Therefore, it is important for international students to gain professional experience in parallel with or after their studies. Experience gained outside of Australia in the same field also earns points.


Professional year programs (PYP) – These are designed to combine formal learning with hands-on work experience for systematic professional development of candidates. The PYP lasts for 12 months. Candidates who successfully complete the course will earn an additional 5 points on the points test and gain valuable Australian work experience. These courses are available in computer science, engineering, and accounting. Remember to take courses that are closely related to your studies and chosen profession to improve your chances of getting your Australia PR visa.

International students studying in Australia can consider these options to get a permanent residence in the country after their studies.

It’s important to note that immigration regulations can change over time, so it’s always best to consult with an Immigration Lawyer or a registered migration agent for the most up-to-date and accurate information regarding visa requirements and exemptions.

Please call our office on 02 9286 8700 or email:


Parish Patience Immigration Lawyers is here to assist if you wish to move to Australia as a skilled worker and require professional advice.


Book a Consultation for Expert Advice on Skilled Visa


Get in Touch With Us


Level 3, 83 York Street Sydney NSW 2000


02 9286 8700