Student Visas (Subclass 500)

Senior Worker Choosing Tools
Play Video

Student Visa - Subclass 500

From 1 July 2016, applicants will only be able to apply for the Subclass 500 (Student) or Subclass 590 (Student Guardian) visas in order to study in Australia or accompany a person studying in Australia. Overseas students who wish to study in Australia may apply for the Subclass 500 (Student) visa, regardless of which education sector they are enrolled in.

Online application: All students are required to make (lodge) their applications online.

Student Visa Application Requirements


 – With limited exceptions, the students must be enrolled in a course of study that is registered on the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and courses for Overseas for Overseas Students (CRICOS).  If they are applying from outside Australia, they must include a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) for each intended course of study with their visa application. A letter of offer from their education provider will not be accepted. If they are in Australia, they can apply with a letter of offer or a CoE but they must obtain a CoE to be granted the visa.

Evidence of English language proficiency:

 – If required, applicants seeking to meet the primary criteria for grant of a student visa must provide evidence of the English skills such as IELTS, TOELF, Cambridge English, Pearson Test of English or occupational English test results with specified score.

Financial Capacity/ Support:

 – All Student visa applicants must have genuine access to sufficient funds to cover costs and expenses for themselves and any accompanying family applicants for the duration of the intended stay in Australia.  If required, the applicant must provide additional evidence of their financial capacity as specified. Students must show that they have access to funds that is genuinely available to them, to pay for your course fees, and travel and living costs for them and their accompanying family members while they are in Australia.

Health Insurance:

 – A student visa applicant must provide evidence of adequate arrangements in Australia for health insurance during their period of intended stay in Australia.

Student under 18 years of age:

 – If the students are under 18 years of age, they need to have welfare arrangements in place while they are in Australia.

Health and Character requirements:

 – Students must show that they are of good health and character.

School Students:

 – Students can apply for a student visa to study at primary or secondary school in Australia, regardless of their country of citizenship.The maximum period for a Student visa in the school sector is five years with the exception of primary school aged students where a maximum of two years will apply.

Meet relationship requirements  
In most cases, you must be the 
spouse or de facto partner of an: 
  • Australian citizen
  • Australian permanent resident or
  • eligible New Zealand citizen 
Your relationship can be with
 someone of the same or different sex. 
You might still be eligible for the visa if  your relationship breaks down or your sponsor dies while we are considering your application. 
Married applicants 
To be a married applicant: 
  • you and your spouse must both be committed to a shared life together to the exclusion of all others
  • your relationship with your spouse must be genuine and continuing
  • you must live with your spouse or do not live apart on a permanent basis
  • your marriage must be valid under Australian law 
To find out if your marriage is valid 
under Australian law, contact
 the relevant state or territory agency for births, deaths and marriages. 
De facto partners 
To be a de facto partner, you must be in a de facto relationship. you and your partner are in a de facto relationship if all these apply: 
  • you are not married to each other
  • you are committed to a shared life to the exclusion of all others
  • your relationship is genuine and continuing
  • you live together or do not live separately and apart on a permanent basis
  • you are not related by family 
Usually your de facto relatioship must have existed for at least 12 months immediately before you  apply for the visa. 
Time spent dating or in an online 
relationship might not count 
as being 
in a de facto  relationship. 
The 12- month requirement will not apply if you can show us compelling and compassionate 
circumstances exist to grant the 
subclass 820 visa. 
The 12-month requirement also will not apply if: 
  • your partner holds or held a

    permanent humanitarian visa

  • your de facto relationship existed before we granted their visa
  • you de facto partner told us about the relationship before we granted their visa  
It also will not apply if you: 
  • are in a de facto relationship with a partner who is an applicant for a permanent humanitarian visa, or
  • you have registered your relationship with an Australian authority such as a registry of births, deaths and marriages 
You might still be granted the temporary 
visa if your relationship
 has broken down or if your sponsor died.

You must have a sponsor when you lodge your application and when you are on this visa. 

We must approve your sponsor. There are limitations on approval. 

You can’t change your sponsor. The person who sponsors you when you apply for the visa must be same person who sponsors you for 2 years after we grant your temporary 309 Partner visa

Book your appointments now

Talk to Experts

Need assistance in your next visa application process?

If you need to apply for a visa and want the process as smooth of an experience possible, talk with one our Migration Experts. Alongside their expert knowledge about migration laws they will make sure your application goes through quickly so that all eyes can stay on what really matters you.

Get in Touch With Us


Level 3, 83 York Street Sydney NSW 2000


02 9286 8700